An agreement between Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste and UNDP was signed in 2015 for an electoral project with the focus on strengthening the capacity of Election Management Bodies (EMBs). The country has two EMBs namely National Commission for Elections (CNE) which is an independent body that monitors and supervise the electoral process and Technical Secretariat for Electoral Administration (STAE) responsible for the administration and organization of elections. The agreement was based on the document that guides the project to provide tailored technical assistance to EMBs to strengthen their capacities through electoral cycle approach, contributing to the process of creating and sustaining an environment for inclusive and responsive electoral and political processes. Additionally, broad range stakeholders’ capacity is strengthened to ensure the sustainability of assistance and consolidation of local and national democracy. Although the project was signed in June 2015, UNDP Electoral Project- LEARN formally commenced its activities from August 2016 through allocation of third party funds. (Lee versaun Tetum iha ne'e)
- Support to National Elections (Presidential and National Parliament), Municipalities and Local (Village) Elections
- Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Building of EMBs
- Electoral Legal Framework
- Media in Elections
- Civic and Voter Education
- Procurement Process for Sensitive Materials
- National Tabulation
- Provided on-site technical and advisory support to the CNE and STAE for Local, Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Provided support in the voter registration campaign for elections that resulted to 18% increase of voters.
- Supported in the procurement of process of sensitive materials for Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Provided support in producing voter and civic education materials for Local, Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Supported in the production and broadcast of outreach videos and TV programmes regularly to increase knowledge and awareness in the run up to the Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Provided support to building the capacities of more than 10,000 polling staff for Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Supported in the building the capacities of journalists and media on election reporting.
- Provided technical support on strengthening the legal capacity.
- Provided advisory support for the national tabulation of Presidential and National Parliament Elections.
- Provided technical support in the development of an election result management system.
- Provided support in the publication of break-down of results from national to polling centres level ensuring transparency in the tabulation process.