The Government of Timor-Leste has taken various steps to integrate the MDGs into its policy mechanisms and to establish coordination, planning and technical support tools to further promote achieving the MDGs by 2015. Among these efforts was the establishment in 2009 of a National MDG Steering Committee and an MDG Secretariat within the Ministry of Finance. (Lee versaun Tetum iha ne'e)
- Support the formulation and implementation of MDG sensitive national development plans including the Strategic Development Plan (2011-2030)
- Strengthen the capacity of national institutions and departments, including the Directorate of National
- Statistics and the MDG Secretariat in the Ministry of Finance, to effectively monitor MDG progress
- Increase public awareness of the impact and importance of achieving the MDGs through public outreach and awareness activities
- Assisting the Government in monitoring and reporting, including compiling and analysing data, reviewing data availability, developing indicators, building statistical capacity and preparing and launching MDG reports
The Government of Timor-Leste has published three MDG reports – the first was launched in April 2004, the second in April 2009, and the third was presented at an MDGs Summit in September 2010.
The 2010 report summarised the progress of the preceding three years, outlining key advances and the challenges remaining in reaching each Goal by 2015. An MDG booklet, with information on Timor-Leste’s progress towards achieving the MDGs and the initiatives which have been implemented in support of them, was also published in 2010.